Friday, February 27, 2009

Stormwater Management Improvement Projects Funded Through Federal Stimulus

The Iowa State Revolving Fund (SRF) is currently soliciting "green projects" to be funded the SRF in response to the recent Federal Stimulus Bill. The federal stimulus bill routes some of the funds for water quality through the State Revolving Fund programs. Iowa’s allocation is $53 million for Clean Water SRF and $24 million for Drinking Water SRF. About 20% of each amount is intended to be used for green infrastructure, water or energy efficiency improvements, or other environmentally innovative activities. While the Iowa SRF has projects that can be to funded with the remaining 80 percent, there are currently few fundable proposals for “green” projects.

Eligible stormwater management projects might include:

Water efficiency
o Reclamation, recycling, and reuse of rainwater, condensate, degraded water, stormwater, and/or wastewater streams

Stormwater quality management
o Stormwater infrastructure with a treatment component
o Stormwater retrofits that address hydrologic impacts to receiving waters by reducing discharge flow volume
o Street sweepers and vacuum trucks

Green infrastructure
o Implementation of green streets (green infrastructure practices in transportation right-of-ways)
o Porous paving, bioretention, green roofs
o Establishment or restoration of riparian buffers
o Retrofits to keep stormwater out of sewer system

All of the projects funded through the stimulus funds must have an environmental review and must comply with all federal regulations

Caltha LLP provides expert technical support to clients nationwide in addressing environmental review, stormwater management and stormwater pollution prevention requirements.

[Read further information on Stormwater Plan - SWPPP Services]

[Read further information on Stormwater Training - SWPPP Training]

For further information contact Caltha LLP at
Caltha LLP Website

No comments: